Monday, May 30, 2005

Villagers Say Dead Sangoma Is a Snake

A widow fears for her life because of rumours that her late husband, a sangoma [witch doctor, kind of], has returned from the dead in the form of a huge snake with a human head.

Glory Nyathi, 42, of Cottondale near Acornhoek in Limpopo, is accused of feeding the human-headed snake in the middle of the night.

“My four children and I are treated like witches now,” she says.

“People are threatening to burn my house and don't want my children to attend school.”

The wild rumours suggest that the snake, like the dead sangoma, wears glasses.

They also say it terrorizes villagers at night.

Nyathi has challenged anyone with evidence to come forward.

“My husband is dead and I want his spirit to rest in peace,” she says.

Her husband died on December 8 last year.

Nyathi believes the rumours started when their son, 11, thought he saw his father herding cattle earlier this month.

She went to police for help, but says the officers laughed at her.


Yes, dear readers, the Voice was back in form last week. I was about to say that we didn't get these kind of wierd stories back where I used to live, but that's not entirely true, is it?

I discussed this fine Cape Town tabloid previously here and here and here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, kids. Katie e-mailed me this address a while back, and this is the first chance I've hadto check it out. Erik, you might enjoy this gem from today's Boston Globe (and especially the photo of the guy involved): Man With a Chain Saw that was Apparently Covered with Blood was Let into the US. Really a gem of a headline.

6/08/2005 6:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home