Sunday, June 05, 2005

Pardon the Interruption

I was hoping that Katie would be the next one to put something up here, but she's got this thing about meeting her next deadline for her thesis. She says her schoolwork has to come before this website. I think this is what people call “being responsible,” though I wouldn't know from personal experience.

So a few quick updates, and then some real posts from me on Monday.

On the weather: After about five straight days of rain, today was clear, cloudless and beautiful. The temperature was crisp and pleasant. I can't tell you how hot it was, though, because I now have two temperature gauges, Fahrenheit and Celsius, and never the twain shall meet. All I know is, 20 degrees C is nice, 25 is fantastic, 30 means its time for sunblock, and anything above that is uncomfortable. Today, it was 22.

On the zebras: There's a website that explains the whole breeding project that's happening on the side of Table Mountain here. The zebras we keep seeing are apparently on their way to becoming Quaggas. Or, their kids will be Quaggas. Or maybe their grandkids. I dunno. Read the site.

Also, the word "zebra" apparently rhymes with "Deborah." Who knew?

On the phone company: We still don't have DSL. When we do, I'll put up a bunch of pictures from the protest I covered and some photos from our trips to the townships.

On the things we miss: As soon as Katie put up the list of things we missed from home, we had an invite from a new friend to come out and see a band, and it was in a place that made both Katie and I feel like we had been magically transported back to Brooklyn. With eyes wide, we stood there staring at the club, which belonged in the super-trendy Brooklyn neighborhood of Williamsburg, complete with Williamsburg's industrial decay, the too-cool hipsters and the local equivalent of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. That same weekend, our friend Rob came through town, which cheered us up. And as soon as he left, a package he had mailed us from New York prior to his departure landed on our doorstep. Inside were a bunch of New Yorker magazines. I'm still craving bagels and Mexican food, but otherwise, we're okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home