Friday, July 29, 2005

Dear Dolly II

As promised last week, here's a few more letters to Dear Dolly, the "agony column" of South Africa's Drum magazine, circa 1954.

Dear Dolly, I have been in love with another man's wife. But when her husband found out he took the matter to the elders who didn't believe me when I said she had tempted me. Later, all the presents I had given her were returned, with the exception of a 10 pound note which I had given her. She says she still loves me. But how can I get my money back?

"Dolly" replies: Your letter shows that you have been behaving in a very silly way and you were lucky not to have been punished. You would look foolish if now you made a fuss about money, so let your loss warn you against such behaviour again.

Dear Dolly, I'm in love with a girl in my district and want to marry her. She loves me but goes out with other boys as well. I haven't told my mother about her. Should I make the girl pregnant first so that I can get a chance to marry her or should I propose marriage to her direct?

"Dolly" replies: What a disgraceful suggestion! She doesn't love you enough to stick to you alone, my dear, and making her pregnant can only cause complications for all concerned. Ditch her!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home