Saturday, July 16, 2005

Why We Stopped Complaining About the Weather

I worried for a time that this website was going to turn into one big whine about the weather. Even though I didn't write about it often, it was always the first thing I thought to complain about when we were having six straight weeks of wind and rain.

It's still winter here, but these last two weeks have delivered 14 straight days of perfect weather: 75 degress every day, with barely a cloud in the sky.

Every morning, we've been waking up and saying to each other, "Yep. These winters are brutal." And then putting on shorts and sandals.

While I enjoy the weather, a small part of me feels a bit guilty. There was a pretty serious drought here last summer, and real Capetownians are hoping for more rain so there aren't water restirictions again this year. Not me. I had my fill, and I rejoiced over this article in today's paper, which says that the serious rains are probably over the year.

Today, we celebrated the continuing water shortage by going for a drive down to Muizenberg, a beach town about 20 minutes from our apartment. Here's what the dead of winter looked like today:

DSC02121

DSC02118

DSC02120

Click the pictures for larger images, or view all our pictures from various trips down the Cape Peninsula here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home