Friday, September 23, 2005

Kay-Dee

To the list of things we've learned about ourselves since we arrived in South Africa, add this: neither Katie nor I is capable of saying her first name properly.

At least, we are unable to say it well enough to be understood by anyone. And I do mean anyone. Every single time Katie has to introduce herself, she's asked to repeat her name.

And it really is out fault, not theirs. Seriously. Try saying "Katie" out loud.

If you are like both of us, the "t" comes out sounding like a "d." Whereas, people with proper English diction are very clear about the existence of the "t." People here always think Katie has a bubbly, quintessentially American name like Kaydee.

I had a Danish friend once who was amused that I was unable to say my own last name, which is about as common in Denmark as "Smith" is in the states. Apparently, "Holm" should be pronounced something like "Holum." Except when I said "Holum," she would say "Holum" again as if I had gotten it wrong. I'd try to say "Holum" again, and she'd just shake her head.

But both of us being unable to say "Katie" may be worse. I mean, it's English.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/23/2005 1:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home