Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Third World

Whenever something isn't going right, or working properly, or functioning the way it should, South Africans bust out with a great expression that would, if I uttered it, probably get me in a lot of trouble.

When a politician gets indicted for fraud, or when they can't reach someone in a local government office, or when the internet goes down across the entire Western Cape, they mutter, "Ag, that's so third world."

It's like they're running down their country for living down to expectations. It makes me laugh every time.

I think I'm going to start a new expression in sympathy. Whenever a major NATO power invades a country, or meddles in the affairs of a sovereign nation, or decides to ignore treaties, protocols and conventions in the face of major international opposition, I'll say: "Aw, that's so the world's last remaining super power."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home