Saturday, October 29, 2005

Visit from California

My parents got to Cape Town this past week, and Katie and I have been busy showing them around. Today, we went down the Cape Peninsula to see penguins and have lunch, and ended up seeing some baboons too.

Katie and I have seen the penguins so many times that the two of us didn't even take any pictures... but they were still worth another trip. This is the time of the year when they molt, which meant some of them were still grump and furry, and others were svelte and happy. The beach was littered with penguin feathers.

If you aren't quite as complacent about penguins as we are, you can see our earlier pictures of penguins here and discover their dirty little secret here.

I have a somewhat irrational fear of the baboons, but I've heard enough stories that between pictures, as the baboons got closer, I would roll up the window. My primary worry isn't that they'll jump in the car and rip my face off, but that they'll jump in the car and crap all over everything. It's happened before, but thankfully, not to us.

My parents were gone for three days midweek on a trip to Knysna, but they returned last night and we went out for a nice dinner to celebrate my mom's birthday.

Before they went to Knysna, we made a day trip to the wine country, and another day was spent shopping at a variety of markets in Khayelitsha, on Long Street and the pedestrian-only area downtown called the St. George's Mall.

My parents were also generous enough to supply us with several items from home that we've been pining for. They brought us New Yorkers, the New York Times, the Washington Post (they flew through Dulles), and, most impressively, they smuggled in corn tortillas and nearly a gallon of homemade tomatillo sauce so we could make real enchiladas. We've already made one batch of 20, and we'll make more next week.

Actually, both Katie and I are looking forward to next week, and not just because we get to cook more enchiladas. My brother gets here on Tuesday, and on Wednesday, all five of us are going to a private game park outside of Kruger National Park for a three-night safari.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home